Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My new favourite player

One of the best things about sports is having a favourite player. You may have a favourite actor, or a favourite author, or a favourite artist, but you don't get to follow that person or cheer him or her on the same way you do with an athlete.

I have many favourite players in various categories. My favourite player from my childhood is Kirk McLean, the Canucks goalie in the 90s; my favourite current Canuck is Alex Burrows, and so on and so on.


Since I became interested in baseball more recently than hockey, my collection of favorites isn't quite as developed. But I have recently added to my little list: I have gone crazy for Jose Bautista, who plays right field for the Toronto Blue Jays. And as my new favourite player, Jose (I am always on a first-name basis with my faves) deserves a little attention here.






Jose Bautista, 29, was born in the Dominican Republic, and had a rough start in the majors. He played for quite a few teams and was even placed on waivers by the Baltimore Orioles at one point (meaning any team is free to pick him up). He was traded to the Jays in 2008 and has since really picked up his game. He is now playing really really well, and I bet all those other teams that gave up on him are kicking themselves now.


Jose is leading the league in home runs (he has 30, the next best guy has 25) and can throw a ball farther than I can run. He can also grow a full beard in about 4 hours. What more could I possibly want?

Your favourite player could be the best guy on the team, the one who seems to have the most character or heart or personality, the one opposing fans love to hate, or just the guy who looks the best in a suit. It doesn't really matter who you love or why you love him, as long as he helps you get into the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment