Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Back in the saddle

My last post was way back in December. Why so long between updates? Well, just after Christmas my husband and I welcomed a new addition to our family. We weren’t expecting him to arrive until the end of January, so there were quite a few activities that were unexpectedly put on hold. Needless to say, he’s taken up a lot of my time (in the best possible way) and posting has fallen way down on the old priority list.

I’ve now caught my breath a bit, but more than that, there is simply too much going on in the sports world to ignore any longer. Posts may be a little sparse for awhile until I settle more into this whole motherhood thing, but I will do my best to keep you up to date.

So in that vein, let me give you a brief overview of what’s going on with some of the major sports.

Hockey
It’s playoff time for the NHL, and we’re now into the second round, meaning there are 8 teams left in the hunt for the Stanley Cup. A lot of interesting stuff has already happened, including one of our favourites getting fined for making a rude gesture at the crowd (he claimed his equipment malfunctioned), Mr. Carrie Underwood taking his new team into uncharted territory by winning a series, and my team exorcising some demons by finally beating its playoff nemesis. Playoffs wrap in June, so there's lots more to come!

Basketball
Also in playoff mode, you won’t be hearing much more than the big big NBA news from me since I stopped watching the game when Mike Bibby and the Grizzlies hightailed it out of Vancouver. My brother and one time guest blogger is into it, so maybe I’ll see if he has anything interesting to say on the subject.

Baseball
Baseball season got underway in April. On a personal note, my baby has been to a couple of games so far (both loses for our hometown Blue Jays). He assures me he had a great time, though he thinks Rivera should be sent packing.

Football
Big things going on off the field in this sport. Right now it looks very unlikely that there will be a season at all this year (it usually starts in September) because of a labour dispute. I’ll be posting more about this as things develop, but if you’re looking for a brief and fascinating look at what’s going on (and an explanation of why we should all be firmly on the players side of the battle), take a peak at this article from one of my favourite sports blogs, The Edge of Sports.

So for anyone still out there, thanks for sticking with me.  It's a great time to be a sports fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment