Sunday, June 13, 2010

What's up in the World Cup?

The big story from South Africa right now is the horrendous goal that England keeper Robert Green let in during his team's game with the U.S.A.

England was leading 1-0 when American Tim Howard took a weak shot that somehow slipped through Green's fingers. You can watch the goal here (it happens around 45 seconds in).


Robert Green fumbles the ball.


Green realizes his gaffe.


Green is being savaged by the press in England right now, and it's unclear whether or not he'll play in the next match. He's vowing to recover and not let this affect him mentally, but in his own words "there are 50-odd million people disappointed with me," so that's got to be tough. I feel badly enough when my cat gives me the cold shoulder, so I can't imagine what he's going through.

The game ended in a 1-1 draw. England plays Algeria next on Friday.

1 comment: